4th Anniversary Special: The Black Sienna Publix Stores

On the 4th anniversary of the GTB Area Retail Blog, we are going to look at 2 Publix stores (742 and 796) which had a black variant of the Sienna interior. Both stores received a remodel to regular Sienna in 2017.

All photos are courtesy of Google Maps contributors.


Publix #742
482 Altamonte Springs Drive Suite 1005, Altamonte Springs, FL - Palm Springs Crossing

Opened on February 15, 2001 and is a Mid-Range Model (or 51T) Publix.

This store coexists with #1661 (former Albertsons #4304/Safeway #3304) in a 0.3-mile distance.


Stepping inside, here is our first look at the Black Sienna interior! Since this was taken at the main entrance, the pharmacy, floral, and deli/bakery departments are seen here.


Here is Publix #742's bakery department, with produce and meat/seafood also visible.


Heading back to the front end, looking towards customer service.


The first 3 checkouts in Publix #742.

The checkout and aisle signage are similar to that of regular Sienna, except the aisle signage is different than regular Sienna with a black background instead of a woodgrain one. Signage for the wine department can also be seen here.

Now that we are finished with store 742, let's take a look at the second Black Sienna store, #796!


Publix #796
5655 Red Bug Lake Road, Winter Springs, FL - Willa Springs Village

Opened on November 15, 2001 and is a 44.1P model Publix store.


The floral, deli, and bakery departments in Publix #796. Another thing that I forgot to mention about the aisle signage is how all of the text is in the Avenir Demi font, which means that this variant of the Sienna interior was introduced in 2013.


The front end in Publix #796, with checkouts 8 to 10 and the customer service desk visible.


A rear view of checkouts 8 to 10, showing signage for aisles 9 to 11 and 5 if you zoom in. You can also see how the decorative awning from the Metallic Marketplace interior was kept here. Regular Sienna remodels would have had that piece removed.

This will now end our coverage of the two Black Sienna Publix stores.


© 2022 GTB Retail.

Comments

  1. Very cool, I didn't know this variant existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an odd variant that I wish I had seen for myself! I remember coming across this when I was building my store list and I can't believe how I forgot that it existed.

    Anyway, thanks for throwing in my store prototype names! I know your page helped me to gather my thoughts and further differentiate some of Publix's store prototypes. At some point, I want to make a deep dive of my own into a Publix décor page and I'd love to learn more of the specifics like you mentioned with the Avenir Demi font making its appearance in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting investigation into this package. I for a time thought that this was temporary signage, but I didn't know that this had been from around 2013 or so and stuck around for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment